Watch out! It's a coup d'état!

 "Commando strong, Commando brave"

"No blood, No peace... " This was the battle cry of the NUF rebels. Bullets hissed and passed through our streets for two continuous hours. During that entire period, Papa was locked up in the wardrobe because he was too big to fit under the bed like Tsusina and I. As for Mama, she laid supine like us with the Holy Bible on her stomach uttering some inaudible words. 

After the two hour bullet plaque, the rebels shouted "Lakusa tuo ! "Everybody out! We opened our doors and stepped outside only to meet the smell and sight of fresh blood with human entrails scattered around. We were lined up in three rows. Men on the left,  women on the right and children in the middle. 

One fearful rebel with a gun wound on his shoulder looked keenly at me. Unfortunately I had no time to dress up when the attack had begun. "If only I had listened to Mama and taken my bath earlier ".Wrapped up in Tsusina's cloth which managed to cover a little portion of my breasts, I knew danger was looming near. He got closer and flashed a smile which showed one missing incisor and one other tooth in between the colours brown and yellow. 

He drew my cloth lower, took one of my "women" and squeezed roughly. Instinctively out of pain and anger, I brushed his hand off. "Coloured tooth rebel" was not amused and showed it by hitting my head with his rifle. The "awws" and  "ohhs " from the women,(the loudest from Mama)  told me I wasn't dead or unconscious yet from the impact. 

Image: Google (Getty Images)

Slowly and gently, a little girl's silhouette helped me to my feet. I stood up and realized no one was around except for the little girl who looked like Tsusina with a little grin plastered on her lips. I scanned around the place and saw a television set, two wooden chairs and a book case. 

An older woman's voice echoed into the room and asked... "AmaRose, have you been dreaming again"?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review -Humility-Defined and Made Practical

ADZE - Book Review

Rediscovery